Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I'll just have a salad....

When you think salad, you generally think of leafy greens, tomatoes, maybe some carrots or cucumbers, right? And most places, that's what you'd get. But in the south, the term "salad" can encompass a multitude of things. Sure, we have the garden greens variety, and lots of delicious mayonnaise based dishes like potato salad and chicken salad, but look in any church cookbook, and you will find things that bear no nutritional resemblance to their leafy green counterparts.
I was flipping through a church cookbook given to me by Matt's aunt. It has lots of good recipes. I've made several things from it that have been delicious. But when I happened across some of these "salad" recipes, all I could do was laugh! Not a leaf of lettuce and nary a tomato in the bunch, but there was plenty of Cool Whip, canned fruit, marshmallows, cream cheese, and enough sugar to make a cake blush. And that doesn't even cover the ones that feature Jello as a central ingredient. But my favorite, my absolute laugh-till-you-cry favorite was, I kid you not, "Snickers Salad." Yes, Snickers, as in the delicious peanut/caramel/nougat confection we all know and love.
I know you're wondering, "What, pray tell, is in a Snickers Salad?" Well, my friends, here is the recipe as it appears in the Christ Our King and Savior Catholic Church cookbook...
Snickers Salad
3 Granny Smith Apples 1 bag fun size snickers
3 red delicious apples or macintosh 1 (8 0z) Cool Whip
Do not peel apples. Dice apples in half inch pieces. Cut snickers into 6 pieces. (Freezing for about 15 minutes makes cutting easier, not so sticky.) Mix apples and Snickers with Cool Whip and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
So those of you who are trying to diet and eat sensibly, take heart. Salads can, apparently, be far more exciting and delicious than you might have imagined. And the next time I decide to have a salad for lunch, I'll remember that candy bars are perfectly reasonable additions!!

No comments: