Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Oh Summer, How I Loathe Thee

Well, we're two days in to the first week of summer vacation, and I can definitively say, I freakin' hate summer break. I hate it with a fiery fury. Don't get me wrong- I like it in theory. A couple of months to take it easy, sleep in, no homework, no afterschool activities to rush to. In theory, it sounds lovely. In reality, it is not.
Summer around here means twins that have suddenly decided to wake up a full 45 minutes earlier than they normally do. It is 10 minutes later than I have to get up on school mornings, but 10 minutes doesn't count as sleeping in. So we get a very early start to a very long day. There's 10 times more noise, 15 times more fighting, 65 times more whining, and 147 times more mess. I'm not sure how just one extra child at home all day can create so much more chaos, but boy can he. And it's already 97* outside and it's only going to get hotter. That definitely limits our playing outdoors time, and that is not good. Not good at all.
So I hate summer vacation. I know there are mothers out there that love it. I can only assume that they have older children, better children, or they're taking some really good drugs. But as I dragged three hyper kids through the grocery store, two of them roaring like lions at every person we passed, all I could think was, "How much longer until school starts back???"

4 comments:

babiesbrown said...

Oh, woman, I love you. And I totes understand. "They have older children, better children, or they are taking some really good drugs."
This!
Christ on a cracker. All Lee and Sav have done since school ended is fight. Dh gets them during the day when they are semi well rested and happy. By the time I get them at 6 (after a full day at work for me), they are cranky, hungry, tired and pissy. It's a nightmare. And the boys have turned into destruction demons the likes of which not seen since Children of the Corn. It's like I'm in the Twilight Zone of child hell.
Hang in there. Misery loves company, right?

Tony, Julie, Cam, and Maeve said...

Ahhh...cannot say that I agree with you Cameron. Just remember those teaching days and the awesome release that summer means. It will take me all summer to get into a routine, but I will try to be thankful for my time at home focusing on my little ones and all those things that got pushed to the side during a hectic year of teaching. 2 or 3 kids swarming and bickering sure beats a whole classroom full of them and their parents to boot!

hapi said...

Hi The Twins Adventure, Nice blog! How to add the Glitter Effect Mouse Pointer to your Blog

The Bipolar Kid said...

You start Summer early!! I feel for you!!