Monday, January 16, 2012

The Most Dangerous Guy in the World


This, my friends, is the most dangerous guy in the world. I know what you're thinking, "Dangerous? How can he possibly be dangerous?" Oh sure, he's short, bald, toothless, and unable to sit up on his own, but Matt would rather me handle live explosives than this baby.

This is my nephew, Sawyer, and he is ridiculously cute. He has bright blue eyes and a smile that would melt the polar ice caps faster than global warming. He is round and cuddly and sweet, and dangerous. Because when I hold Sawyer, I forget that babies are hard and messy and expensive and frequently boring. I forget that I talked his sobbing, exhausted mother down from the ledge just two days ago after a week of sleepless nights. I forget that my house is so chaotic and overwhelming that I start wondering every afternoon how we're all going to live until bedtime. I forget all of that and think, "Babies!! I love babies! They're sooooooo cute and sweet."

And then I come home to my big, loud, arguing, rough-and-tumble boys, and I think about how sweet and cute and cuddly that baby was. Then I say, "Matt, that baby is so ridiculously adorable. He's like crack, he's so addictive. Don't you wish..." And before I can finish the sentence, Matt goes, "No. Hell no." And I sigh and say, "I know. You're right. But he is reeeeally cute." And the universe (and the grandparents) breathe a sigh of relief.

I've avoided the baby trap this time, but it's an ongoing struggle. Because he's dangerous. Really, really dangerous.

1 comment:

Karrire Ludwig said...

Cameron I really understand what you mean. i do this same thing. Every time i look are hold a baby I melt. My boyfriend reminds me all the time about the crying and not being able to send them back where they come from. I just cant help it. Babies are like "crack" as you say. They are very addictive.