Tuesday, December 1, 2009


The tree in all its glory being guarded by
the impenetrable tree cage!


Mason and his hot daddy- I'm kinda
diggin' the beard! (and Mason's bandit mask)


Mason's tree in his room


Paige and I in our matching glitter hairbands
It's hard to see mine, but trust me- it's there,
and it's fabulous!!

The tree decorating committee

Sweet Haysie at the tree farm


Sweet Will in the sunshine


The boys in Budda's truck with the tree



We found our tree!

So, the overdue Thanksgiving/Thanksmas post.... We had a great Thanksgiving. My mom had a very full house, and though we were missing a few, we all had a fun, and fattening, day. I swear I ate more I would have thought possible, but I enjoyed it! We were also celebrating my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary- quite a milestone! There was a lot of good company and delicious food, so you really couldn't ask for a better Thanksgiving.
Friday was Thanksmas, and a glorious Thanksmas it was! The weather was just cold enough to make you feel like getting a Christmas tree, and it was a gorgeous and sunny day. Matt's mom and dad came over in the morning and I made biscuits and gravy, then we all headed out to the tree farm. We used to always cut our own tree, but I got tired of wimpy-branched Leyland Cypress trees that can't hold an ornament worth a darn, so we switched to pre-cut Frazer Firs. At the tree farm, you walk into a big barn filled with freshly-cut Christmas trees. The smell is unbelievable! I found our tree immediately- it was literally the first one I looked at. It was gorgeous, but of course I still had to shop around a bit! I couldn't find anything that beat the first tree's perfect fullness, so it was declared this years' winner!
Getting the tree was the easy part. Setting up the giant tree cage, not so much. It required two trips to the hardware store for bolts, and took a fair amount of wrestling to get it put together. My father law said, "We won the cage match!" But they got it done and we stuffed the tree in the stand, then we stuffed our faces. It was Thanksgiving all over again, only in sandwich form. I swear to you, my mother in law probably makes the best dressing I have ever come across. It is truly a thing of beauty, and we were all in food heaven! I honestly think I ate more at that lunch than I did on Thanksgiving, but it was just too good to stop eating!
That evening I made potato soup (lord, am I going to talk about anything but food?) and my parents and Paige and Matt's mom came over to eat and decorate the Christmas tree. Of course, Matt had to make the annual trek to Walmart beforehand to replace all the burned out strands of lights! You'd think by now I'd learn to check the lights before Thanksmas! But he got the lights on and did an excellent job, and the ladies did the decorating. By the time we got done with it, you could barely see any green on the tree! We also helped Mason decorate a little tree in his room, and I spent the rest of the weekend decorating the rest of my house and shopping with my mom. So it was a great holiday weekend, and I was sad to see it come to a close.

No comments: