Monday, September 20, 2010

The Great Closet Battle of 2010....

I have to start by saying I love my husband. He is a good man and I love him very much, but Matt and I have very different ways of doing things. My mother has always said that I have two speeds- full out and asleep. Matt, on the other hand, has three speeds- slow, slower, and asleep. It drives me nuts, but his laid back also helps balance out my frantic crazy, so most of the time it works for us. This weekend, it didn't.

Weekends around here are for all the projects we can't manage during the week, and this one was no exception. And this weekend's project was a doozy. Matt was going to tackle (with his mom's help) our god-awful disaster of a utility closet while I ferried Mason to soccer practice and the boy scout store 45 minutes away. He was going to put up new shelving, toss the mountains of junk that had been collecting dust for months and organize what was left. When I left the house at 11 am, I had visions of coming home to a nicely organized storage space instead of a cluttered closet that resembled an episode of Hoarders (minus mummified cats and rotting food). What I actually came home to four hours later was my MIL home with the kids while Matt was at Home Depot getting the shelving to get started cleaning the closet! Bear in mind- this was 3:00 in the afternoon!!!! What had he been doing while I was gone? Napping!!

Oh honey, you don't even want to know the details of the fight that went down then. My poor mother in law got to witness the door-slamming, cussing, ball of fury that I was at that point. It was not pretty. But geez, seriously? Nothing got done in four hours?? Oh wait, I take that back, he did manage to break the baby gate that keeps the twins out of the closet of danger and doom, so he had made it utterly impossible to keep them out of the disaster area. So essentially, he hadn't accomplished anything, but had instead made the situation worse, and made it so that the only way this closet was getting cleaned was if I helped him do it after the twins went to bed- arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!

I was so tempted to sit my big ol' behind on the couch and let him deal with that bio hazard all on his own, but being the sweet, kind, wonderful wife that I am (ha!) I got in there and helped him muck out that disaster. Four giant trash bags and 3 1/2 hours later we had a beautifully organized closet that we can actually walk in without killing ourselves. And we can find stuff!!! It's glorious and amazing, and I've almost forgiven him for being lazy and worthless- almost.

No comments: