Thursday, December 16, 2010

It's the Most Exhausting Time of the Year

Ah, Christmas, a time filled with joy. It's wonderful and nostalgic for adults, magical for children, and exhausting for mommies! I didn't realize until I had a family of my own how much goes into making Christmas happen. When you're a child you just take it for granted that sparkly ornaments and lights wink from every corner, piles of presents pop up overnight, and elves magically appear in funny spots all over the house. But have a kid and all of a sudden you realize that you have become the magical elf that makes everything merry and bright!

The other night as I was wrapping presents, I asked Matt, "When Christmas comes around and you don't have to do anything but show up, does it make you glad you're married?" He was like, "Uh, yeah, sure, I guess." He'd probably never given it much thought, but he should! I'd love to hire a wife for the Christmas season. Imagine it, having someone to do all the shopping, decorating, wrapping, cooking. Someone to buy the perfect teacher gift, address a million Christmas cards, bake for the coworkers, bus drivers, neighbors, etc. Heck, I'd be happy if I could just have someone that would remember to move the elf on the shelf to a clever new hiding spot each night!

But since no one has come up with a rent-a-wife operation (well, they probably have, but I couldn't afford to hire one anyway), it's all on me. And though I complain about it sometimes, I wouldn't have it any other way. Because even though it's exhausting, it's so worth it. Seeing my kids' faces on Christmas morning makes it all worthwhile- even though all the credit for that goes to a jolly fat guy. I'll stand back and smile knowing that I am Mommy, and I make magic happen. Then I'll go take a nap.

No comments: