Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Making Progress

Okay, so maybe you remember that Matt and I got an elliptical back in January, and I was bound and determined to get my flabby ass into shape. So I guess it's time to check in and let you know how that little endeavor is going. Has the elliptical been relegated to an expensive coat rack? I am happy to report that it has not. No, that SOB is still punishing me on a several times weekly basis. Has it gotten any easier? No, no it has not. I'm still a panting, sweaty mess every time I get off that thing, and I still feel like there's a strong possibility that I might die at some point during every workout. But the good news is, it's working!!!!

I've lost about 12 pounds, which puts me over half way to my goal. Honestly, I find that number a bit frustrating- 12 pounds doesn't seem like much in two months. But when I bitch about it, Matt reminds me that I've built a fair amount of muscle, and that weighs more than fat. I've lost several inches and a good bit of jiggle, so I try to focus on that more than the stubborn numbers on the scale. And I'm definitely more fit. Mason and I have returned to our evening walks now that we've got daylight after dinner, and the hills that used to kill me are now easy as pie. (Mmmmmm.... pie....) And I have to admit that I'd probably lose more weight if I was stricter about my diet. I do pretty good during the week, but I kind of let things go on the weekend. C'est la vie, life's too short to live on broiled fish, and I don't want to be skinny that bad.

I've still got a ways to go before I'm happy, but I've got another couple of months before I have to face the most horrifying of horrors- bathing suit season. And quite frankly, I think it would take more than exercise and diet to make me happy in a swimsuit. That would require a scalpel, and I just can't afford the tummy tuck/boob lift/lipo that would give me a "beach body." I'm trying to make peace with the fact that you can only do so much with a body that has housed three people. And it's even worse when it acted as a duplex last time around.

But hey, it's better than it was two months ago, so yay me!!! And I'm totally kicking Matt's butt when it comes to elliptical usage. He hasn't used it since he had the flu a month ago, so I get to be smug about my commitment to fitness! So that's where things stand in Operation Taking Back My Life 2011- I'm (a little) skinnier, more fit, and I got a really cute haircut, so I'm calling it a success so far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.
"Beach bodies" are over-rated -
"Kid friendly" bodies are the best -
You are beautiful - regardless! Just ask your kids ;-)

Carol said...

I really wasn't trying to be "anonymous" on my comment - I just hit publish and realized I did not "sign" my name....
(mommy brain - sorry)

Carol Koster