Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Bazombies

If I had my way, the little boys would never watch anything but age-appropriate, educational television. PBS kids, with some Disney sprinkled in- good, wholesome stuff. When Mason was their age, I pretty much managed to contain his viewing habits to the things I deemed appropriate. Oh sure, Daddy would occasionally sneak something in that I didn't really agree with (Transformers, anyone?), but it was mostly mom-approved. As Mason got older, started school and was influenced by other kids, new things started to sneak in. In started small with stuff like Cartoon Network, then the Nick tween stuff like iCarly started to appear. I finally gave up when he got hooked on the unholiest of them all- Spongebob. But I was still keeping pretty tight rein on the twins.

Until recently. Matt decided that watching Spaceballs, the 80's Star Wars spoof movie, would be a fun Saturday activity for him and the boys. Well, it was fun all right. So fun in fact, that Will became obsessed with it, wanted to watch it every day, and insisted for a month that everyone call him "Dark Helmet." That obsession passed about a month ago when Mason thoughtfully introduced them to Michael Jackson's Thriller video.

Mason had been learning the dance in PE, so Matt and I let him watch the video. Mason showed it to his brothers, and voila, a new obsession was born. Now I hear about werewolves and zombies (or "Bazombies" as Will calls them) day in and day out. They play zombies and werewolves, they run from "the thriller" in the backyard, they know the dance- complete with zombie head-twitch and monster claws- and they do it everywhere. At preschool (in front of the whole class), at the pediatrician's office (thank goodness our doctor rocks and was totally amused), the playground, EVERYWHERE. And forget calling Will by his name. He will swiftly correct you, "No, I a bazombie...."

Since it's hilarious, I gave up trying to fight it. I embraced it and bought them zombie shirts. Will wants to wear his every single day. And they are awfully cute.



They think they're scary....








Super-scary in fact...





But it's hard to be scared of a zombie.....




When he's this cute!!


No comments: