Sunday, July 5, 2009

Yankee Doodle Dandies












I hope everyone had a fabulous fourth of July. We had a great day. We started it off by attending our town's celebration which included a band, free cotton candy, popcorn, watermelon and lemonade (Mason fully enjoyed all of them!) a farmer's market and some fun activities for the kids. I particularly liked the petting zoo because it consisted of the oddest assortment of animals I've ever seen in a petting zoo. There were two chickens, three goats and a guinea pig. Strange, but hey, how often do you get to pet a chicken?
After that I got to enjoy an afternoon out with my best friend, Alyssa, who came down from Atlanta. We had fun going out to lunch and shopping. It was actually my second day in a row of lunching and shopping. My sister came down to visit Friday and we went downtown for lunch and shopping with our youngest sister. If I keep this up, I might become a "lady who lunches." Yeah right! But I've gotten to do a pretty good bit of shopping too. Matt's mom kindly offered to finance a bathroom redecorating project (not to mention a new slipcover for the playroom) and she and I spent Thursday morning buying paint, new towels and ordering the coolest shower curtain ever. I'm about halfway done painting the bathroom and I can't wait to put everything together. Matt's mom and I share a love of home decorating, and I really appreciate her doing such a nice thing (especially since my decorating dollars have run out!)
We thought about taking Mason to the fireworks last night, but he was a tired puppy, and I didn't feel like braving the crowds. So Matt got sparklers and little fireworks that spin around and burn different colors, so we had our own little fireworks display in the backyard. Mason had so much fun with the sparklers and he kept telling me "stay on the deck, Mommy so you don't get hurt!" At one point, Matt almost set a plant on fire with a firecracker and Mason said, "That plant was on fire just like Jesus!" It took me a minute to figure out that he was talking about the story of the burning bush! Good to know he got something out of bible school.

No comments: