Monday, August 3, 2009

I can't believe it, but we're gearing up for the first day of school! Mason starts kindergarten on Wednesday, and I'm just sitting here wondering where the past five years have gone. How can my baby boy possibly be going to school? He's excited, but a little nervous. He keeps telling me that he doesn't want to go all day. It's going to be an adjustment for him, but he's going to do great. He needs something to keep him occupied and he's been bored at home. Boredom leads to whining and acting up and getting yelled at by mommy, so school is going to be a good thing for everyone!Tomorrow we're going to meet his teacher and check out the school, so I think he'll feel better once he knows what to expect.
We're still working on home improvement around here. Last weeks' goal was to find a new front door, and with generous assistance from Matt's parents and a good deal at a building supply place, we have one! We got a beautiful, unfinished fir door with a nine-pane window to replace our ugly, beat-up, metal, apartment-looking door. The guy who's going to hang it for us came out today to see exactly what needs to be done, and he'll get it up for us at the end of this week. I can't wait!
In the meantime, Mason and I have embarked on a home design project on a much smaller scale. I have a thing for miniatures- dollhouses, shadowboxes, all of it- I just love it. I started collecting dollhouse furniture before I ever had kids so I could make a killer dollhouse for the daughter I was sure I would have. With no daughter in sight, my collection has been languishing in a box for years. I finally decided that I could do something cool with it even if I didn't have a little girl, so we're making a room box with a Christmas scene in it. Mason and I bought some cool things at Hobby Lobby and Matt helped me build a shadow box. So far we've stained the floors and baseboards and painted the walls and ceilings. Matt wired it up so I could plug in the two tiny, working lamps. Mason and I made ornaments for the tiny tree out of beads. I'm cross stitching a rug and throw pillows, and as soon as our working miniature tree lights arrive in the mail, we'll start putting it all together. And then we'll have this amazing little living room all decorated for Christmas that we can enjoy at the holidays for years to come. And Mason has had such a good time helping me pick everything out. I'll definitely post pictures of the finished product!

No comments: