Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Well, we met the teacher and saw the school today, so I guess we're set. Mason was wild and happy while we were there, but I think he got a little overwhelmed as we were leaving because then he starting poking that bottom lip out and saying, "I hate my school! I hate my classroom!" I just told him that I understood that he was nervous. School is new and different and that can seem a little scary at first. But he'll be used to it in no time flat and then he'll love it.
I can't blame him for being nervous- I am too. All day I've had this tight, hard to breathe feeling in my chest whenever I think about tomorrow. And I just gathered up everything to make his lunch, and I wrote him a note on heart shaped paper (It says I (heart) U, since he can't read yet!), and now I'm sitting here fighting back tears as I think about him eating lunch away from home for like the third time in his life!
School is going to be a great thing for both of us. He'll have fun and be in a busy, structured environment so he won't be lying around bored all the time. And I won't have to fuss at him all day for whining and acting up because he's bored. I'm sad that I didn't get to do as many fun things with him as I would have liked to this summer, but it's really hard to do with the twins. And now I just feel sad that I'm sending my little guy off to school, and this is the way it's going to be for many years. I'm mourning the loss of the freedom that we've always had to do whatever we want during the week. There are many days when it's very hard to be a stay at home mom, but on the good days I'm always so thankful to be surrounded by my kids, going places and doing things that other people don't get to do during the week. And I'm sad to lose my little helper! He is truly more help than you can imagine in the grocery store. Who's going to push the babies so I can push the cart? I hate that the era of having all my kids home with me all the time is coming to a close. I will truly miss it. So y'all say a little prayer for my precious boy as he makes his first step out into the world tomorrow.

No comments: