Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I was watching the boys play in the backyard this afternoon and wishing I could freeze time. There's something about the late-afternoon sun shining through the fall leaves, the way it silhouettes them and creates a glowing nimbus around their hair. In that moment they are so sweet and so beautiful and so perfect. But it's so bittersweet, because even as I'm cherishing that moment, I'm mourning the fact that they won't always be these precious little boys. Mason is already out in the world, having his own life outside of our family. My sweet babies aren't really babies at all anymore. Each step takes them closer to being little boys, and I can barely stand it. I just want to tell time to slow down, don't make them grow up so fast, let me hold them just a little longer.

No comments: