Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Bringing Out the Big Guns

Did you check in hoping to hear good news? Sorry, haven't got any. We found out that the antibiotics we've been forcing down Will twice a day have been about as effective as gumdrops. They haven't touched his nasty ear infection, and the congestion has started to settle in his chest, hence the raging fever. In a last-ditch effort to keep us out of the hospital, the doctor gave him a shot of Rocephin, which is a heavy duty antibiotic, and he'll have to go back for two more shots over the next two days. And these aren't just little nothing injections. These are thick solutions given with a giant needle that burn like the flames of hell going in. It's so bad that he can't even walk for a while afterwards because his leg hurts so bad. And we get to do it two more times!!
Holding that poor screaming baby down on the exam table is just about more than I can bear. And it's made worse by the fact that he cried "Ow, ow, ow" all the way out of the doctors office. Is your heart breaking? Well this will just send it right on over the edge- all this happened after my poor, sweet baby looked at me and asked in this hopeful little voice, "Yummy medicine?" Oh yeah, it practically killed me. Matt's taking him for tomorrow's shot because I just can't bear to do it three days in a row.
He came home from the doctor and fell asleep on the couch almost immediately. He slept through Hays marching through the living room yelling and banging on a tupperware container with a turkey baster. He only woke up because he was wracked by a horrible coughing fit. At which point I got to subject him to a hose nose and a giant dose of disgusting steroids! And this is what we'll be doing, over and over for the next three days in a desperate attempt to avoid the hospital.
It seems like it's never ending. And the worst part is, if he gets sick again, I have to take them out of preschool!!! Not preschool!! Please don't take away my blissful six hours of freedom a week!!! Of course, he's only been twice in three weeks because he's incessantly sick. And quite frankly, if keeping him out of school means we never have to go through the Rocephin torture again, I'll freakin' home school him if I have to. I can't stand to watch my sweetie hurt anymore. He has been through too much in his short little life already, and I just need him to get well and stay well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor ole Will. Cameron, my mama heart hurt just reading about all that. Love to all of you! Kelly & Co.