Sunday, November 14, 2010

Lucky

I have seen a light at the end of the tunnel of illness, and I'm pretty sure it's not a train!!! Everyone's feeling better, Will's coughing has subsided and I think we might be getting well (at least until they bring home some other bug from preschool.) And since you guys have been so incredibly patient with my bitching and moaning, I'm going to take a day to post gratitude instead of attitude.

Yesterday I had a day where I felt so very lucky at so many different times during the day. Lucky to the point that I had to offer a quick prayer of gratitude to God. The first was at the grocery store. I was behind a family with three young children, who were carefully adding up every penny to try to stay within a strict, and very small budget. At the end of their tally, they had to tell their kids to put some things back, and my heart went out to them. I know it must have been tough to tell their kids that there were things they couldn't buy for them. Now, we certainly don't buy our kids everything their hearts desire, but when I made my grocery list this morning, I didn't have consider every dime. I could just make a list of the things we wanted and go get them without worrying if I could pay for them. This hasn't always been the case, and may not always be the case. But yesterday morning, it was, and for that, I was very grateful.
Thank you, God, for giving us the means to provide for our family. Thank you for helping us keep them fed, clothed, healthy and happy.

Later on, my best friend came for a visit. We met up with my mom and Paige and had such a fun afternoon together. We had lunch and did some shopping, talking, and lots of laughing. It was such a fun day spent in the company of women that I love so dearly. And it was much needed, since we've all been dealing with some hard times lately. It was so nice to put aside illness, worry, sadness, and just have fun together. Thank you, God, for blessing me with amazing friends and family. Thank you for the strong, wonderful women that surround me and inspire me.

Then I came home to sweet, loving, funny children, and a kind, supportive, wonderful husband that looked after them all day so I could go and play. Not all men would be willing to do that (though they all should), and I'm grateful to have one of the ones that will. And even though my kids are crazier than drunk puppies, they are so cute and funny and I love them so very much. Thank you, God, for my family. They make life worth living, and I am very glad that they are mine.

My mother and sister joke that whenever their own lives get hard, they just think, "Well, it could be worse. At least I'm not Cameron." They're joking (sort of), but I get it. My day to day life isn't always easy, and it's certainly not calm. But it is full and rich and very, very blessed. And while there are certainly days that I would run away to Tahiti in a heartbeat, I'd always come back (after a few peaceful days in the sun, and many tropical cocktails). I am grateful for this crazy life, and I will leave you with the words of my cell phone's ringtone- Lucky I'm in love with my best friend, lucky to have been where I have been, lucky to be coming home again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you almost made my heart juices leak, cameron. glad you found a little happiness! kelly