Wednesday, February 29, 2012

They Really Ought to Give Me a TV Show


This is what Mason's room used to look like. (well, with a red headboard and black furniture, but this was the wall.) I painted it when he was four, and crazy about super heroes. But now that he's a worldly gent of seven and a half, he's outgrown Gotham. As sad as I was to paint over the cityscape mural. I was excited to have a new project.

He wanted to go full-on Star Wars; printed comforter, curtains- the works, but I convinced him to go a bit more sophisticated in his choice of bedding. After all, you might not want a Star Wars comforter when you're 12. But I was fine with him going whole hog with the accessories. Especially because it gave me a good excuse to fire up my crafty mojo. 
 I think the gray walls and simple black and gray bedding will grow with him.
And when he's tired of Star Wars, we can change it up easily.



We framed a couple of Star Wars posters that we bought, but I painted everything else on canvases. (They were on sale at Michaels, so I spent a grand $20 on supplies to make 4 pictures. Can't beat that!) All I can say is, thank god for Google Images, and crafty nerds creating Star Wars pumpkin carving patterns. I can't draw a stick figure, but I can cut with an exacto knife and trace with the best of them!! I could save my self a whole lot of time and tedious tasks if I could just learn how to draw! 



                Even Darth Vader has to walk his dog..






Vader in all his evil glory, and some silhouettes. I looove silhouettes.


I also used pumpkin patterns to turn a $5 lampshade and a $6 pillow into Darth Maul and Storm Trooper awsomeness.

What Star Wars room would be comlpete
without a remote controlled lightsaber light?


 I decided to start this project Friday morning. I did not have a single thing, including paint, until 4:00 Friday afternoon. (That required slogging with all three boys to Target and Walmart in a trip so heinous that I can't even bear to relive it in blogland. I spent Saturday morning buying paint, bedding and art supplies, so I didn't actually start painting his room until 3:00 Saturday afternoon. So y'all had all better be super-impressed when I tell you that I had everything done- walls and trim painted, all art and accessories made, everything in the room, by 7:00 Sunday evening. Tone down your applause a little- I didn't get the framed pictures hung until Tuesday. But only because I didn't have frames, then Hays got strep and I couldn't make it to the store until Tuesday evening. But other than pictures, I had the entire room done in less than 48 hours, and it cost under $300!!

I mean , seriously, doesn't that deserve a tv show? At least an hour-long special? The people on Trading Spaces got $!000 dollars, two days and an entire crew to redo a room! I did it in a day and a half, on less than half the money, BY MYSELF, and I had to stop multiple times to feed/ clothe/referee three children. I'd watch that show. HGTV needs to call me.




3 comments:

newport cigarettes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
newport cigarettes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mandy said...

This room is AWESOME!!! I would love to have it for mine and my hubby's guest bedroom. ;) GREAT JOB!!!