Saturday, December 20, 2008

Thanks a lot, Milo and Otis!!

Last night was movie night at our house, and we chose "The Adventures of Milo and Otis." I remembered this as a cute little kids movie and picked it up for a couple of dollars at Walmart a few months ago. Now, if you saw this movie as a child, you probably remember that it was a tale of a cute little dog and cat who got themselves into all sorts of scrapes. As an adult, you see the darker side. You notice as you're watching a pug dog fight with a bear, and a cat go over a waterfall in a box, and the cat being attacked by seagulls, then being thrown off a cliff into a churning sea, that these are REAL animals. Not stuffed cats, or computer special effects, REAL animals. So I start wondering "How on earth did they do this? There are all sorts of regulations regarding the treatment of animals on movie sets." Well, not in Japan where this movie happened to be filmed! Matt and I googled "PETA and Milo and Otis" and it's rumored that as many as 27 cats were killed in the filming of the movie!!!!!
As if that wasn't bad enough, they also show a close-up shot of a kitten being born and a puppy being born. Mason didn't say anything right away except "gross!!!" so I thought we might avoid uncomfortable questions. Of course, we were not so lucky. About ten minutes later Mason looks at me and asks, "Mommy, how does the baby get out of the mommy?" Not wanting to get into a major discussion of the birds and bees with a four year old, I replied "It comes out of her body, son."
"Where on her body does it come out?"
Here Matt helpfully interjects, "Not out of her butt."
"Well , where does it come out?"
At this point I notice that the credits are rolling, so I'm like "Oh look, movies' over, time to brush your teeth!"
That's as far as we got, and so far, he hasn't asked again. I know we'll have to face it some day, but I wasn't ready to deal with it last night!

No comments: