Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I took Hays to see the endocrinologist today. He's been on Synthroid, a synthetic thyroid hormone, since he was a couple of months old. He was having trouble regulating his temperature in the NICU and they thought it might help. It did seem to help, but the doctor said he doubted that Hays had true hypothyroidism and would only need the meds for a while. The doctor today agreed, but we're still keeping him on the meds. Mainly because if we took him off and he actually did have a thyroid problem, not having the medication could really interfere with his brain development. My concern was possible side effects from taking medication that he doesn't need. The doctor assured me that the medication is very safe and should not have any ill effects, but I'll be following up with my pediatrician to make sure he feels the same way.
The worst part of the doctors visit was that we had to wait FOREVER!!! We were there for over an hour before they ever called us back to the room (because the doctor was eating lunch). Then it took another hour before we finally saw the doctor. Then another hour to get labs. Well, that was probably only a half an hour, but we had to makle a detour to the NICU to visit everyone! They were very impressed by how big and cute Hays is. They're probably the only people on earth that can look at him and say "Oh my gosh, he's so big!" But I was proud to show him off.
When I got home and put an exhausted Hays down for a nap, I played baseball with Mason in the backyard for a while, and let me tell you, that kid can hit! He is awesome!!!! I can't throw worth squat, but he can still hit most of the balls I pitch to him. He does even better when he's playing with his daddy who can actually throw the ball somewhere in the vicinity of the bat. I see little league in that boy's future! It is both impressive and pathetic that his athletic ability far surpasses mine and he's only four.

No comments: