Thursday, February 19, 2009

We had some high drama Monday night. Will had been coughing since Sunday, but it got really bad late Monday. He was coughing so hard that he was choking and gagging, and the coughing was almost non-stop. I gave him a breathing treatment with Albuterol, but 30 minutes later he was coughing his head off again. I decided to take him to the urgent care center because I was really getting concerned about him. They gave him a breathing treatment there, but it didn't stop the coughing. They took chest x-rays and it was obvious that he didn't have pneumonia, but the doctor was worried enough that they sent us to the hospital. At the hospital they did more x-rays, checked him for RSV and gave him an epinephrine breathing treatment. It really seemed to help, but they also started him on an oral steroid to bring down any swelling in his airway. It tastes disgusting, so he promptly threw it up all over me. I cleaned up the best I could, but I still spent the next couple of hours sitting in the ER smelling like puke!
It was a really long night. WE got to the hospital around 8 pm and finally got home at midnight. Will was as good as any baby could possibly be. He cried very little and stayed in remarkably good spirits for a sick, exhausted baby. He stayed awake the entire time we were there, except for a five minute cat nap. When he woke up he looked around like he was really confused, then burst into tears! It was so pitiful. The doctor and I think he has seasonal allergies and that's what was making him cough. I started him on children's claritin the next morning, and he's been fine ever since. Guess he just wanted to stir things up!
Hays is feeling somewahat better. He's still having a tough time with those darn teeth, so he's not quite back to his sweet, happy self, but he's better. We're getting ready for their birthday party on Saturday! I truly cannot believe that they will be one day after tomorrow. Thank goodness the last year is behind us!
I got a call earlier this week from one of the NICU nurses at Egleston. She was calling to ask me if I would talk to a mom who has a baby that likely needs a trach, and I told her I would be happy to. The mom called me today, and I was immediately impressed by her determination to find out everything she possibly could to make the best decision for her daughter. I told her about our experience with the trach, and that while it certainly changes your life, it doesn't end it. It's not easy, but it's not nearly as hard as it seems at first. Keep them in your prayers. She is a good, devoted mother and she is working herself to the bone to be there for her daughter.

No comments: