Tuesday, March 24, 2009


Mason with his yummy cupcake


Awesome Batman cupcakes



Mason loves to help sift the powdered sugar



Me and my boy



Hard at work!


We've had a very productive day. We met with the twins' physical therapist this morning, and she was amazed at how well they're doing with sitting and learning to crawl. She feels like they're progressing well, and though there are still developmental delays, they're no worse than you would expect for twins born so prematurely. Personally, I'm pleased as punch with the great strides they've made over the last month, and I don't really mind the delays. It's kind of like they have an extended babyhood. And since I've always felt sort of cheated out of the first months of their lives, especially Will's since he stayed in the hospital for five months, I'm grateful for the extra baby time. They'll grow up fast enough, so I'm going to enjoy my cuddly babies while I can.

After PT, we were off to Wal-mart to get a few groceries and a new toy for Mason. He earned some money for helping in the yard this weekend and it was burning a hole in his pocket. Legos are his new obsession, so he was able to buy a cool lego kit with his hard-earned money. He spent most of the afternoon playing with his new creation.

Matt's dad came to visit this evening, and was kind enough to bring dinner and an essential cupcake-making ingredient I had forgotten to get at the store. After dinner Mason and I got to work on super-cool Batman cupcakes for his class. Since Mason has a summer birthday, he won't get to celebrate at school like the other kids. So his sweet teachers schedule a day for each kid who has a summer birthday to celebrate early with the class. Mason wanted to bring Batman cupcakes as his birthday treat, but I couldn't find any kind of Batman cake toppers. So I got the idea of piping bat signals out of melted chocolate to use on top of the cupcakes. I printed the Batman symbol and laid a piece of wax paper over it. Then I piped the outline using a small icing decorator tip and filled it in with melted chocolate. They harden pretty quickly, so I could peel them right off the wax paper and put them on the cupcakes. They turned out pretty cute if I do say so myself!

No comments: