Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Winter Wonderland


The twins bundled up in the cold house!





















We had an exciting couple of days. The weathermen had been predicting snow on Sunday, and we were all excited about the possibility of getting to play in the snow. Around lunchtime the white stuff started to fall. We were expecting to get an inch, maybe two, but we got a whole lot more! Within three hours we had 3-4 inches of snow on the ground. It was all fun and exciting until the power went out around 4:30. We thought about taking the kids over to my parent's house. They didn't have power either, but they do have gas fireplaces. We decided that it would probably be worse out on the roads and surely the power would come back on soon. After bundling the babies up snugly and putting them to bed, I had to scrounge up something for dinner. Earlier in the day I was making fun of all the people who run out and buy milk and bread the minute there's a possibility of snow. I wasn't laughing when I had to make dinner in the dark and remembered that we had used up the last of the bread at lunch!

As the evening wore on and the house got colder we tried to entertain Mason and keep him from being scared. It's awfully hard to play Candyland by candlelight- the blue squares and green squares look exactly alike! We put him to bed covered by about twenty blankets and then Matt and I sat around in the dark praying that the lights would come back on. We went to bed around 9:30 because we were bored and cold!

I woke up several times during the night praying that the power was back on, but no such luck. In the morning we were still power-less and it was 58* in the house. I bundled the babies into the warmest things I could find, but we were still pretty miserable. The worst part was that we couldn't make coffee, which is pretty much a life-sustaining staple for Matt and me! We saw power crews in the neighborhood around 8:30 and the lights finally came on around 10:45. We all did a happy dance, then made coffee as fast as we could!

Mason had a good time playing in the snow. I did too, up until I busted my butt trying to surf on a makeshift sled (a big cookie sheet. Don't laugh- that's what we used when I was a kid, cookie sheets and the wok!) Matt got his car stuck in the mud and ice at the end of the driveway, and it's still stuck. One of his co-workers had to pick him for work this morning! My car is currently parked on the street in front of our house because I managed to get it down the driveway to make a grocery store run yesterday afternoon (had to get bread you know.), but it was too slick to get it back up the driveway! I'm hoping to get out for a while with the kids today, but right now the driveway is still too icy to walk down it. Mason went out to play for a while this morning, but he came in when he was tired of slipping and falling all over the place!

1 comment:

Michael said...

You should teach Will that it's impolite to grab his brother's butt. Also, you gotta tell me where to get a NASCAR baby pillow. That thing is so classy I want a whole set.