Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Well, I changed Will's trach today and he's still alive, so I guess you can call it a success! Actually, it wasn't that hard. A little scary, but not particularly difficult. I think we'll be able to manage it when we finally get him home. I talked to his case manager about trying to get a meeting with all of his doctors so we can finally come to a unified idea of his condition and treatment. His trach nurse is also going to work on getting the doctors together, and to get better communication between us and the doctors. I was not happy today when we discovered that the nurses were not following instructions on caring for Will's trach. They are supposed to change out the gauze around it every four hours and they're not doing it. His neck looked awful a few weeks ago. It was really irritated and there was lots of yucky drainage because they weren't watching it closely. It looks much better now, but if they don't take care of it properly, it will get bad all over again. What can I say, the frustration is never-ending.
Hays has done better today. He hasn't been nearly as irritable, so I guess his little system is getting used to the formula. He's still requiring some "assistance" to poop, so if that doesn't resolve itself by Friday I'm going to have to badger the pediatrician yet again.

No comments: