Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Will had a good day yesterday and a great day today. I'm not sure what caused his problem Monday, but whatever it was, he seems to be over it. He had to stay on the vent all day yesterday to kind of recover from the day before, but he was on his trach collar most of the day today and he did great. He kept his sats up and was happy as a clam.
He had a rough night the night he came home from the ER, but that's largely our fault. His sats were really low and he was kind of wheezy. The breathing treatments helped some, but not like they did at the hospital. By the morning, I was getting pretty worried and thought that another trip to the hospital might be imminent. I couldn't figure out why he wasn't responding to the Albuteral like he had at the hospital. The reason became clear when I went to administer the next treatment with my nurse, Boh. I had been connecting the nebulizer to the wrong vent hose! I put it on the one that he exhales through rather than the one he inhales through. I just didn't even think about the fact that it would make a difference, and no one had ever really pointed out that it would make a difference. I felt completely stupid and I was mad at myself for making his night tougher than it needed to be. But what are you going to do? It's a learning process and I'm still learning. At least I won't make that mistake again. After his correct breathing treatment, he was doing MUCH better. It's amazing how well medicine works when you give it to them properly!
But now we're back to two healthy, happy babies. Hays aapears to be going through a growth spurt, because all he wants to do is eat and sleep. He has learned to love his rice cereal and has now started on bananas, which he adores. He had them for the first time yesterday morning. He tasted them, thought for a moment, then broke into a huge grin and gobbled the rest of the bowl in about two minutes! Tomorrow he's going to cross a new frontier into sweet potatoes. Let's hope that goes over as well as the bananas.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I have a box of baby food do you want it