Friday, July 18, 2008

The ball is definitely rolling to get Will home. It was a busy day here. I met the two nurses that will be our primary day nurses and really liked them both. They were both very sweet and down to earth. One is kind of rock-n-roll with tatoos, pierced nose, and bright red streaks in her hair. the other one is a mom of four young kids and seems to be very experienced. She actually used to work at Egleston and sometimes worked in the TICU. I feel much better about having someone in my house all the time after actually meeting them. I think we'll all get along really well and it will be nice to have another adult around.
We also got all of his supplies, some of his equipment, and his oxygen in case of emergencies. So I now have a big oxygen tank and two big boxes filled with medical supplies. It's not too horrifying- I was afraid it would be much worse. My project for this weekend is getting everything organized and put away.
Will's doing well today. He got his immunizations, so his legs are a little sore, but other than that, he's great. He tried the heat and moisture exchange valve (HME) for the first time and did great. His oxygen sats dropped a little when they first put it on him, but then they went right back up. He wore it for an hour today and they'll increase the time tomorrow. This means he'll be fully mobile and unencumbered when he's wearing the HME. I can't wait to pick him up and carry him around without him being attached to anything! Matt's staying at the hospital with him tonight and I'm going up early tomorrow so we can meet with his doctor and get training with the g-tube nurse. Just a couple more days!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: