Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I had to spend the night up at the hospital with Will night before last. It went well because I feel like we'll be able to handle any of the nighttime stuff- not that there's anything all that different from the daytime stuff. I also got some peace and quiet after Will went to sleep. I read a whole book while I was up there! Today I changed his trach again and did all of his suctioning and trach care and it went well. I think we'll be able to handle all this stuff with no problem when he comes home. The bad news is that the doctor thinks that Will is going to need the gastric tube. He's just not consistent enough on his bottle feeds for thenm to send him home on the NG tube with the idea that he'll be up to full feeds soon. He did great yesterday, but today he only took 5 cc's at his first feeding and 10 at his second. So we're having the surgeons look at him today or tomorrow and then we'll make a decision. It's always something.
Hays is doing better at sleeping long stretcjhes. We put him down around 8:00, and he usually sleeps a 5-6 hour stretch, gets up to eat, goes back down for about three hours, eats again and sleeps a couple more hours. So it's not terrible. We'll be glad when he sleeps two long stretches and we only have to get up once during the night.

No comments: