Thursday, May 1, 2008

Does this mean he has to go to rehab???

Get ready for the most pitiful thing you've ever heard. Poor little Will is on methadone. Yes, methadone, the stuff they give heroin addicts. My baby is a junkie. The last few days he's been very agitated and he's losing weight because he's pooping all his food out. They finally figured out that he's in withdrawel from morphine, so they put him on methadone. He's like a little quasi-crack baby! But he's feeling better and that's all that matters. The nurse said he'll probably be off of it by the time he comes home, and I'm like, good, because I don't really know where the local needle exchange/free clinic is, so I might have a tough time scoring his methadone! Poor Will, this kid just can't ever have an easy time of things.
Hays finally quit screaming last night around 1 am, two and a half hours after he started. Then his apnea monitor was going off every 10 minutes or so between 5-6 am. Hays has reflux and that can sometimes make babies hold their breath and that's likely what he was doing. So he was fine, but the monitor was still going off, and that thing is loud!!! I have discovered a pattern to Hays' crying jags. He has one period during the day where he's wide awake and ready to play. When he starts to get sleepy I put him in his bed, but then he won't go to sleep and starts hollering. I try giving him his paci and patting him, but no dice. He's overtired and can't go to sleep. He cries for so long that it's usually time for him to eat again. We feed him and hold him until he finally passes out. Anybody got any good suggestions for making him sleep before he's overly exhausted? This afternoon he started crying at 5:30 and he just settled down now at 7:30 (but he may start up again at any moment!) Advice welcome!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm sorry to hear Will's a junkie. ;) These babies, mine included, have been through so much. I've never looked at my girls' medicaton list. I wonder what I would find... As for Hays, did he cry all night when he was in the NICU? If not, he might be having some difficulty adjusting to the peace and quiet of home. Some people have success lulling their babies to sleep by playing "NICU sounds" or turning on the TV. Maybe the ladies over at the twinsmagazine site have more suggestions. Stop in and see us when you have some time (I'm sure you have your hands full!). It's nice to see your posts over there. ~Malie